Why We’re Thankful for Computers & All They Help Us Do
At our repair shop, customers often come in frustrated over their nonfunctional computer, occasionally threatening to throw it out the window. We sympathize, knowing the inconvenience of error screens, malware, slowness, and just generally “not working the way it’s supposed to” when you have things you need to complete. But in the spirit of Thanksgiving, we’d like to take the time to share some of the reasons we’re thankful for computers and all that they help us accomplish (when they work properly, of course!).
10 Reasons We’re Thankful for Computers
- Typing. Ability to type documents, store them electronically, and print out or send as many copies as we want. It’s much faster than writing things out by hand and makes it so much easier to edit.
- Internet! The world is now at our fingertips, a click away with the ability to access every piece of information available from anywhere that has an Internet connection.
- Email. Sending instant messages in a secure way to individual or multiple recipients has totally changed the way we communicate.
- Social Media. It’s great being able to maintain connections and receive updates from friends all over the world, getting a window into their worlds with pictures and posts.
- Space Saver! No need to keep printed out copies of all the documents we create or are sent to us. We can save and organize everything electronically, and perform a search to easily locate particular files amongst various folders.
- Common computer functions. We enjoy the convenience of simple, but much-used functions and their accompanying shortcuts, such as copy (Ctrl+C), cut (Ctrl+X), paste (Ctrl+V), and undo (Ctrl+Z). Who hasn’t wished there was an undo button for life?
- Slide presentations. We don’t have to rely on posters anymore, but can easily present information on slides by using a program like Microsoft Office PowerPoint, with fun slide transitions and animations.
- Spreadsheets and financial software. Keeping track of accounts is a lot easier with programs like Microsoft Office Excel, Quicken, or QuickBooks. These programs are great for businesses or individual users.
- Photo storage and editing. Before digital cameras, you had to drop your film off to be developed and wait to see how the photos would turn out. Now, we can view, edit, and post our photos to share with others using software in our computers.
- Music storage and streaming. We can access and listen to music in so many ways: use your computer like a CD player, listen to radio stations online, import and download music in iTunes, and stream music from Pandora, Spotify, or your other preferred streaming platform.
What aspect or function of technology makes you the most thankful for computers?
PC Ninja wishes everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, a day of family, friends, food, and counting your blessings!